Keto-Friendly Chinese Food: How To Order
The keto diet is amazing. It can help you lose weight, increase your energy, and even bust your cravings. And one of the best parts about the keto diet is that you can still eat tons of great foods. Because in keto you burn fat for fuel, you’re able (and need to!) indulge in fatty foods like avocados, olive oil, cheese, bacon, and butter. Thankfully, more and more restaurants are coming out with keto friendly menus. But eating out can still be a challenge! Especially when it comes to a dinnertime favorite: Chinese food. But we have a whole list of keto friendly Chinese food for you! And tips on how to build a keto friendly order at your favorite Chinese restaurant!
Keto Friendly Chinese Food: Appetizers
Unfortunately, you’re going to have to stay away from breaded and fried items like wontons and egg rolls if you’re looking for keto friendly Chinese food. But there are some tasty options that won’t sabotage your keto diet.
- Lettuce Wraps| Lettuce wraps are a great alternative to deep fried options at Chinese restaurants. Usually filled with chicken, pork, shrimp, and vegetables, these can make an excellent low-carb appetizer.
- Egg Drop Soup| Egg drop soup is mainly eggs and chicken broth. Which makes it perfect for keto. Just make sure go ask if they use cornstarch to thicken it. This can add tons of carbs.
Keto Friendly Chinese Food: Mains
- Stir Fries| Make sure to ask if the stir-fry sauce is low carb, but lots of stir-fries make perfect choices for keto friendly Chinese food. Look for stir fries that include a protein and veggies stir fried in a light, translucent sauce that isn’t too sweet! That will help you avoid hidden carbs in your sauce.
- Moo Shu Pork Or Chicken| You’ll have to get rid of the pancake that usually comes alongside this dish. Unfortunately, pancakes are NOT a keto friendly Chinese food. But you’ll still get a delicious plate of chicken or pork mixed with veggies like mushrooms, bok choy, pea pods, onions, and celery!
- Walnut Chicken| Always ask to make sure, but Walnut Chicken tends to be among the most low-carb options at most Chinese restaurants.
- Five Spice Chicken| Again, preparations differ, so make sure to double check before taking our word for it. But, generally speaking, Five Spice Chicken (if it’s grilled) is among the most keto friendly Chinese menu items!
The Worst Chinese Food For Keto
These are the items to watch out for on when you’re trying to order keto friendly Chinese food. They all pack some serious carbohydrates that could do some real damage to your keto diet.
- Anything Breaded
- Egg Rolls
- Most Sauces
Keto Friendly Chinese Foods: Final Tips
- Plan Ahead| It’s always easier to stick to your diet when you go in with a plan. Otherwise it’s too easy to go in with intentions of ordering keto friendly Chinese food but end up ordering a huge plate of wontons after you see one go by. Nowadays, most restaurants make their menus available online. Check it out ahead of time and have a few options lined up!
- Beware Of Cornstarch| Cornstarch is used a lot in Chinese restaurants in order to thicken sauces and soups and tenderize meats. Make sure to ask if its being used in the preparation of your meal, because cornstarch has TONS of carbs. Most of the time it’s used for consistency not flavor, so if they’re able to leave it out, you can make yourself a more keto friendly meal!
- Order Your Sauce On The Side| Sauces are the other secret way that carbs can sneak into your Chinese meal. To be on the safe side, ask for sauce on the side, even with low carb sauces. That way you can control how much or how little you want, and how many carbs your consuming.