What Are The Best Workouts For Keto?
Keto is the low-carb, high fat diet that is taking the world by storm! People everywhere are talking about the INSANE weight loss results they’re seeing on the keto diet! Maybe you’re one of those people. Or maybe you’re right at the beginning of your keto journey! But if you’re on this page, chances are you’re interested in finding out the best workouts on keto. And we’ve got the info you’re looking for! Any time you change your diet, you’re probably going to be looking at changing your workout program. Here’s what you need to know about the best workouts for keto.
Best Workouts On Keto: The Basics
Before you even begin deciding on your keto workout regimen, there are a few basic things you should know so you can have the BEST workouts on keto.
- In The Beginning, You May Have Less Energy On Keto| You might see an initial drop in your performance when you begin the keto diet! Don’t worry! This usually passes after the first few weeks!
- Keto Might Reduce Performance During High Intensity Workouts| High-intensity workouts like CrossFit, sprinting, or weight lifting might not be best suited for a keto diet. As always, your body can adapt! But for the most part, these types of workouts require carbohydrates for fuel.
- You Might Need To Eat Some Carbs Right Before Your Workout| This is called a targeted keto diet. If you DO want to do high-intensity training, consider eating an extra 20-50 g of carbohydrates about a half hour before your workout! 30 minutes should give your body enough time to turn FOOD into FUEL.
- Aerobic Exercise Is Key| Aerobic and stretching exercises are typically some of the best workouts on keto. These keep your body healthy and strong, and even on the keto diet you should have the fuel you need to get through them!
- If You’re An Athlete, Doing Keto In Cycles Might Be Best| Keto is great, but at the end of the day, no diet is for EVERYONE. If you’re an athlete, keto might throw a wrench in your high intensity training schedule. That’s why some athletes choose to stick to a keto diet and enter ketosis 2-3 times a year in their off seasons, rather than adopting it as their everyday lifestyle!
Best Workouts On Keto: At Home
If you hate going to the gym or don’t have the money or time for a gym membership, you’re in luck! Because TONS of the best workouts on keto are totally possible to do at home. Because high intensity workouts like weight lifting aren’t necessarily the best, many of the best keto diet workouts don’t involve any equipment! Simple stretching exercises and cardio activities are great! And so are body weight resistance exercises! Here are a few of our top picks:
- Jumping Jacks
Best Workouts On Keto: At The Gym
If you’re used to heading straight for the weight machines at the gym, you might have to rethink things in order to get the best workouts on keto. If you do want to go for weight lifting, think low weight with more repetitions. Any exercise that requires short bursts of extreme energy is probably considered “high intensity”. You can still do these workouts on keto, but you might need some extra carbs beforehand (as mentioned above). If you want to get your keto workout on at the gym, here are a few of our favorite pieces of equipment to use:
- Stationary Bike
- High Rep, Low Weight Weight Lifting
- Stair Stepper
- Rowing Machine
We hope this information was useful, and that it will help you get your absolute best workouts on keto yet!